Friday, June 20, 2008

1 Year Down


One year ago this week we moved into good old Minnesot-ah, ya know. Each time we move it is a little hard but we do our best to adjust and meet new people. This last year has been the most difficult and different from anything else that I have ever experienced. Not to mention very stressful and hard for Will as well. I don't think anything could have prepared our family for resident life. I don't recommend this unless it is truly a passion for your spouse. As you can imagine, I am feeling very trunky and I still have more months than the 4th yr. residents have days.

What I love about MN
-employees say "how can I help you"
-it's basically crime free (relatively speaking)
-no gangsta kids hangin out on my doorstep like in MD
-good place to raise a family
-beautiful lakes and parks everywhere
-best fall leaves!
-skywalks (gerbil-like tunnels for humans)
-lots of free places to go see

What I would like to change about MN
-obviously the cold
-drivers that drive well below the speed limit (very common here)
-summertime sunsets at 10pm
-the tricky driver's test that took me forever to pass
-winters that begin early and end late
-southwest airlines does not fly here, bye-bye $99 tickets
-tornado sirens going off

Overall I have to say that I really do like it here. I just wish that it could be green trees and blue lakes year round.

9 comments:

adventure knitter said...

Wow...how long is your residency? Sounds like a beautiful place...in the summer at least.

Erin said...

I'm so impressed that you can have such a good attitude about moving so much. And that you've found so many things to like about MN.

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Steve wants to get into the same program as Will is in right now, I am not sure if it his passion though. If so, then we have quite a long ways to go. I miss Minnesota. But one thing, I don't know if the mosquitos are bad in the city, but I think that they should definitely be added to the change list.

Anonymous said...

Don't remind me about that driving test, aparently we have to take written tests here to get Indiana licenses and I am scared! Not that I am a bad driver, but it has definitely been a while since I have learned ALL of the rules. I love your good attitude though and I hope it will rub off on me! It is only a couple of years, right?

The Farnsworth Family said...

Nanci I am so happy you made it through the first year... maybe it is like dental school the first was really the worst! It will be over before you know it! Dave and I look back on the last 6 1/2 years of dental school and residency and feel like we blinked and now it is over. I am so glad you get to support Will in his "passion"!! Glad you guys are doing well.

MacMui Mom said...

We miss you!!! We are flying through MSP in October on the way to Nonna's. We are hoping that we can cathc a look at you.

Hugs,

MacMuis

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Okay, head out of the clouds. NOwhere has green trees and blue lakes all year round... except MN. You just can't see the green or blue when it's covered in white! Anyway. Way cute picture of Rex and Ella. They are getting so grown up...

emily said...

glad to hear you are surviving! hang in there- it really does get better... or you get better at handling it??? either way- it will be over before you realize it and then you have to really 'grow up' and face the real world!!

amanda said...

You can do it!!!!

{That was said in a funny tone- but I can't type it in a funny tone- so I'm explaining it now...}

I look forward to reading about your upcoming adventures.