Tuesday, July 1, 2008

MIA

Today was Rex and Ella's first day with our Americorp volunteer. Her name is Amber and she is the best thing that has happenend to us since we moved to MN. She comes over once a week and plays with the kids, feeds them, reads to them, and then puts them down for a nap. It's like I have my very own Mary Poppins for free!!! When I left today to run my errands child-free, Amber said to take as long as I needed (such as 5-6 hours). Wow! Okay, I was only gone for four hours but still, somebody telling me to leave and take my time running around? I was totally not sure what to do with all this time (I knew that I would definitely grocery shop but that would only take an hour). I decided to go to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts all by myself. Many people don't know this about myself but I love museums and especially photography and impressionism art. I was able to stop and look at beautiful paintings in peace and quiet and not have to worry about anybody's snack or naptime.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

What's an americorp volunteer? Sounds like I need one of those! Glad you had a good time at the museum.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

A Mary Poppins for free? That's perfect and goes with your blog name perfectly, too!

You're absolutely right, though. I did not know that about you. I'm glad you got to enjoy it.

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Once a week? Wow how nice for you. 5-6 hours gives tons of time. I have never heard of Americorp volunteers, who are they?

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

I'm jealous. I had a babysitter for a doctor appointment yesterday. I was gone a total of four hours, too, but every minute was racing to get everything done and get home because I was paying her and didn't want to stay out too long! I wouldn't have dreamed of going to a museum with my free time, although I would have thoroughly enjoyed it!

emily said...

please tell those of us who are missing out on such a wonderful thing what an americorp volunteer is!!! i want one of those.

Nanci said...

I don't know too much about the organization of Americorp all by itself. Our volunteer is working through a smaller nonprofit organization that is local to our area. Because Rex qualifies for speech through the school district here, he qualifies for a volunteer to come over once a week. Pretty nice huh?

KatieB said...

i think gaby was one of those. but i don't think she did the whole mary poppins thing... i want one!!!

Gaby said...

I was an Americorps volunteer. But we had to work in downtown Baltimore - with teenagers. Not the same thing. What was I thinking?

Nicole said...

Amazing! Why haven't I heard of them before!! Isn't it great to have that "special" time back. Before kids, I didn't realize how "special" my time was without them. I love museums too and it has been a long time since I visited one. Good for you!

Starley Family said...

Wow a day at the museum without a bored husband or restless kids. Way to go Nanc.