Thursday, April 9, 2009

Somebody In AZ Loves ME


Yup, I ate every single one in this box and it was goooood. My Mom so kindly mailed me a box of these delicious yellow balls. I grew up with a grapefruit tree in my backyard and if I remember correctly, I was the only one eating these. Ever since we left AZ some million years ago, I have found it mentally impossible to pay a dime for a grapefruit when I could get them for free growing up. Just this last month I finally broke down after almost 7 years and decided that I could spend the dough at the store and buy some not to pretty and not so fresh looking grapefruits.



Grapefruit on the left is from AZ and the one on the right is from a grocery store in MN and probably picked a very long-long time before arriving at my local store.

Lesson to be learned---> If it doesn't grow here, then it will taste yucky. I share that same philosophy with Mexican food outside of AZ ;)

4 comments:

Shasta said...

My grandparents used to live across the street from an orange orchard in AZ. Every time we would visit they would take us over there and they were really good. Every time we went home they would let us take a case full of oranges home with us. Fresh fruit is definitely a lot better than stuff that sits at the grocery store for an infinite amount of time.
Also, I grew up with peaches in a friend's yard. Every summer we ONLY ate peaches from the orchards as well. I love peaches and I love to go peach picking. I am glad I live in an area that grows a lot of my favorite fruits. I am glad it is summer. Sorry it is still cold there though. :( You should come and visit us in VA. We would love to see you again.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a good mom you have and what a great surprise.

My goodness, the contrast between the two grapefruits is STARK.

{Steve and Amanda} said...

That is funny. Even though we are only in Dallas, I have felt the same way about grapefruit, oranges, and lemons (all of which were grown in the farnsworth yard). Whenever We go shopping I am like, "that is ridiculous" (because i think it should be free). well i guess it'll be a while before we gave a house and can plant some AZ trees so we'll have to break down too and buy some. Love the thought though!

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. I'm with you Nanci and Amanda. They should be free! I haven't had any good oranges, grapefruits or lemons for a good year and a half! I haven't broken down to buy them yet. I've been tempted... but haven't done it. What a nice little gift from your mom!